Applications for Sept 2013 are now open. Apply
We would like to encourage applications from students with an engineering background.
The Advanced Metallic Systems Centre for Doctoral Training was established in 2009 with a £6.3M investment from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). The Centre is hosted jointly by the Universities of Sheffield and Manchester and builds on their international reputation in metallic materials science and engineering research.
- To provide a stimulating multidisciplinary training experience
- To teach topical courses that balance cutting edge technologies with fundamental principles and core concepts
- To develop professional transferable skills in leadership, business and research management
- To foster innovative, internationally leading research
- To work in partnership with industry to provide industrial experience and maintain relevance
'The blend of academic study and industrial interface offered to a student under the Advanced Metallic Systems CDT scheme gives them a superb understanding of the technical, theoretical and commercial aspects of innovation and allows them to work with companies to understand constraints, timescales and business decision making processes whilst developing highly marketable technical skills at the University.'
A. Kevin Parkin, Chairman, Parkin Limited